[mythtv-users] Xorg.conf for nVidia 8756 driver

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed May 3 09:05:43 UTC 2006

> It's worth it, after you put this in place, to drop to runlevel 3 and run
> `startx --logverbose=5` and see what that gets you.  The EDID information
> for your TV (if it's using EDID) should come back through to the log file
> (as well as other things, that might ALSO show you some interesting
> information for your problem) and give you a valid modeline you can use to
> "talk" to your TV.  The EDID info you get back is 1:1 identical with the
> modeline you'll use.  Just plug the numbers in pretty much in order.  You'll
> get a resolution (like 1920x1080) then a dot clock speed (say 75.4) then 4
> numbers for HSync, then 4 numbers for vsync, then any "flags" you'll need to
> use (like +hsync, -vsync, interlace, etc.).

I' in runlevel 5 but I'm starting X with -logverbose=5 from the place
that starts X. I've got some modes in my log file but I can't see the
bits you're talking about. The nearest I get is this which has no
clock speed, +vsync etc::

(II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: TV-0
(II) NVIDIA(0): Requested modes:
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "720x576"
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
(II) NVIDIA(0): MetaMode "720x576":
(II) NVIDIA(0):     Bounding Box: [0, 0, 720, 576]
(II) NVIDIA(0):     NVIDIA TV Encoder (TV-0): "720x576"
(II) NVIDIA(0):         Size          : 720 x 576
(II) NVIDIA(0):         Offset        : +0 +0
(II) NVIDIA(0):         Panning Domain: @ 720 x 576
(II) NVIDIA(0):         Position      : [0, 0, 720, 576]
(**) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size configured to be 720 x 576

Is this the section of the log file I should be looking for? Could you
please post an extract from your log file so I know what I'm looking
for?

Thanks,
Phill