[mythtv-users] Almost there

Alan Secker alan at asandco.co.uk
Wed May 3 09:04:29 EDT 2006

After following up what you had said, I realised that I had missed
installing the script
in ~/contrib and the other steps to ensure that mythbackend starts up at
boot time.
It is now running and although the setup screen now finds the database,
I still
get the pop-up box with the 'Could not connect - see below'. The other
problems
per my original post still persist, except I seem now able to close
Mythtv without
rebooting but certainly not elegantly.

Can someone suggest some further tests?

Alan

On 01-May-2006, at 06:25, Alan Secker wrote:

 > I now get MythTV coming up (version 0.19) but with four initial problems:
 > 1) In Setup -  General, I get the message:
 >
 >     'Could not connect to the master backend server -- is it running?
 >     Is the IP address set for it in the setup program correct?'
 >
 >     The answer to the first was No, mythbackend wasn't running. I
 >     tried to start it (from Mandriva 2006) but it wouldn't.
How do you know it didn't start? In other words, tell us what you saw.
Did you look at the log ( try: 'tail /var/log/mythtv/mythtvbackend.log'
)? Are you trying to start it as the root user (try: 'sudo
/etc/init.d/mythbackend start')?

Regards,
  JJ