[mythtv-users] Scan displacement and over/underscan

glen martin lists at locutory.org
Wed May 3 11:43:39 EDT 2006

I have a similar symptom ... video seems to be placed offset from the
display. I wind up with the thinnest possible blue bar along the top of
the playing video, and somewhat thicker bar down the left side. The
video itself could well extend past the right side of the display that
little bit too. Hence: apparently offset more than the wrong size.

This is also true when I watch 16:9 content ... the blue bar top and
left are at the edges of the content, not the edges of the screen.

Crop filter doesn't seem the right thing - I don't want to remove
information from the stream, so much as get the stream centered on the
display.  Screen settings seem to work for overscan, but I can't see
what the offset controls do.

I've so far used the nvidia-settings to set TV Overscan up a little (to
12 now), which increases the displayed image size and therefore shifts
that blue bar somewhat offscreen, but it seems a hammer to drive a
screw. And the blue bar on the left is still visible as I'm starting to
clip the border around the list of Recordings. And TV Overscan doesn't
help much when the content is 16:9, because the top blue bar is at the
edge of the content, which is partway down the screen. :)

For the record, this is an NVidia FX5200 card, myth 0.19, SVIDEO out,
nvidia 8756 driver, X is in 1024x768 mode (though 720x480 does this
thing too). Standard vs XVMC, no change.

Thanks,

glen