[mythtv-users] MythWelcome

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Wed May 3 13:44:15 EDT 2006

Scott Bickford wrote:
> I am having a problem with MythWelcome.  I have a script to kill the
> FE if a remote key isn't pressed after 30 minutes.  After that
> MythWelcome appears, it says the BE is idle, but MW never shows the
> "shutdown in 180 seconds".  By killing the FE, it seems the BE thinks
> the FE is still running.  If I shutdown FE properly, the BE sees that
> and eventually shuts down.   Is there a more graceful way of getting
> the FE to shutdown or do I have some config setting wrong?

The BE keeps a list of active clients that are connected to it and its
only when there no blocking clients left that the BE starts the shutdown
process. When you kill the FE the BE must not be removing it from its
client list so will continue to think its still connected. You're going
to have to find a way to close the FE down cleanly. One way might be to
send fake key presses that emulate the actions you take when you close
the FE down manually. I've not tried it but may be your script could use
the NetworkControl interface via telnet to fake the key presses?

Paul H.