[mythtv-users] Legality of selling MythTV and its Components?

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Wed May 3 18:12:15 UTC 2006

On 5/2/06, Rob Goretsky <rgoretsky at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested in building preconfigured MythTV boxes and then selling
> them.  I plan on donating a percentage of my profits directly to MythTV
> development, and will contribute code updates/fixes to MythTV.
>
> I have looked through these archives for information about some legal issues
> surrounding the retail resale of preconfigured MythTV boxes, but this is all
> I have found so far:
>
> 1) Including DVD ripping software is illegal.
> 2) Including DVD playback program is illegal.
> 3) Including any ROM images for video games (for MythGame) that are not
> owned by me is illegal.
>
> Other than these points, are there any other legal issues that I should be
> aware of when planning on selling preconfigured MythTV boxes?   Can anybody
> point me to a good reference on this?

What if you sell the hardware and software installation as a
"service"? (even though the service is provided before the hardware is
even shipped)

There must be companies out there that sell pre-installed and
pre-configured linux boxes for other purposes. I'm sure some of the
software they include is for non-commercial purposes as well.

Another option would be to put that work into making configuration of
a new system easier. If Myth were to evolve to the point where an
average user could install and configure it through a simple
menu-based install, you wouldn't have to sell it preinstalled. You
could just sell a hardware configuration that is known to work and
include a myth install CD with those simple install scripts.