[mythtv-users] Storage Questions. LVM, RAID, NFS

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Wed May 3 19:48:48 UTC 2006

On 5/2/06, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another question...
> The motherboard I intend to use for this new standalone master backend
> has 2 SATA and 3 PATA ports. I plan on using the 2 SATA and 2 of the
> PATA ports (with one drive on each) for the RAID10, from the talk on
> this list, I assume I will want to have the two RAID1 arrays contain 1
> SATA and 1 PATA each to match the performance of the two arrays and
> then RAID0 those two arrays? All four of the drives I have are the
> same model except for the PATA/SATA difference.

Remember that write performance with a RAID1 is limited to the speed
of the slowest drive as writes will wait until the write of both
drives have completed.

I would pair the same drives in the underlying RAID1 devices if the
speeds were significantly different, but it your case since they are
basically the same drive (SATA vs PATA performance difference is
negligible) it doesn't matter.

One benefit of mixing them up is that if one controller dies it won't
take out a whole mirror, so for reliability it actually makes more
sense to mix them on the mirrors in your case.

-Dave