[mythtv-users] OT - MX4000 to FX5200

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu May 4 05:00:45 EDT 2006

On May 4, 2006, at 2:20 AM, David Watkins wrote:

> It's possible that you've damaged your S-Video cable (Have a look for
> bent pins).  That could explain the intermittent operation and the
> colour/B&W thing.  I don't understand why some modes are in colour
> though - maybe the output defaults to composite until the nvidia
> driver loads?  Otherwise you have to start wondering if you've got a
> bad card.

I can personally attest to how easy it is to damage S-Video
connectors, a really crappy design.

The cards use the same connector for S-Video and composite, and one
of the symptoms of getting it wrong is a loss of colour.

I think this was mentioned before but have you tried forcing S-Video:

Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"

Also, what resolution are you running? Beyond 800x600 things can get
flaky, depending on the encoder on your nVidia card. you might try
going to 640x480 just to see if things start working OK, which would
indicate a bad encoder on the card.

It is still very possible that you have a flaky card, but the only
way to really test that is by trying another