[mythtv-users] X Resolution

Ed O'Brien ed3120 at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 09:08:14 EDT 2006

I am displaying Myth on a 16:9 HDTV at 1080i. (1920x1080) The problem is, due to overscan, and the fact that I am converting from VGA to component via an Audio Authority 9A60, the image loses some overall sharpness, and isn't exactly 1:1 pixel mapping.

Video playback and Myth menus (due to their large fonts) look great, but if I drop to my X GUI and try to read the type in my shell or if I try to browse the web via Firefox, the text is small and unreadable. My question is, is there any way to run the X GUI in a lower resolution (i.e. bigger everything) while still utilizing the full 1920x1080 for the Myth GUI?

I guess some of my alternative options (if what I'm asking is impossible to do) would be to run X and the menus at a lower resolution. (Good for the GUI, but bad for the Mythfrontend.)

 The other option would be to keep the 1920x1080 resolution, but change some parameter that would drastically increase the default font size throughout the GUI and any apps launched. (such as a shell or firefox.) I'd appreciate any tips on how to do this, because I'm not sure.

 Also, if anyone has any idea how to make things a little more readable in the built-in Myth web browser, that would be nice too.

 How is everyone else dealing with the issue of small text, etc. on their TVs?