[mythtv-users] OT - MX4000 to FX5200

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu May 4 10:51:00 EDT 2006

On May 4, 2006, at 8:46 AM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Brad Fuller wrote:
>> I'm going to swap out the cable. The first thing I thought of when
>> the
>> B&W popped up was that since the MX4000 works and the FX5200 doesn't,
>> maybe the S-Video out voltage level is flaky and maybe at the edge.
>> Since I'm running a long cable (10ft of S-Video going to a
>> S-Video<->Composite converter and about 20ft of RG6) that maybe it's
>> just not making it somehow. I realize that this is no where near the
>> length limit, but what the heck.
>>
> If you're plugging the S-VIDEO output into a Composite input you
> need to
> change the TV-OUT format line in your xorg.conf from "S-VIDEO" to
> "COMPOSITE".  That controls the color signalling that the card sends,
> not the type of connector that it uses.  Having this set wrong will
> result in B&W picture.

Depends on what type of "converter" he is using, but I agree this is
the root of the problem.

Be aware that the adapter supplied with nVidia cards is *not* a
converter, it is simply ti allow you to access the composite signal
from the S-Video-type connector.

But like I said, if his target is a composite input, there is no
reason to fool with S-Video at all.