[mythtv-users] OT - MX4000 to FX5200

dick at photoclerk.com dick at photoclerk.com
Thu May 4 14:11:54 EDT 2006

> Brian Wood wrote:
> (if I had money, I'd put together a small quiet little pc for downstairs
> and have a separate FE)

Facing a similar problem (long cable), I put together a front end for $115
- very small & quiet.  I don't have pics or anything, but it's a Compaq
SFF Deskpro EN (PIII-866, but 733 will work too), you can get them on eBay
for $80 (+shipping, unless you find one w/in driving distance, like I
did).  And a eVGA GeForce MX 4000 / 64MB DDR / PCI / VGA / Video Card
(E145-5102) for $34.99.

About $10 more for remote - about $3 in parts for an IR receiver and
circuit (which can be mounted internally - I replace the HD light on the
front w/the IR sensor), and a $7 remote control from Target.

These boxes are super quiet as long as the HD doesn't make much noise.  I
just pawed through old 10GB hard-drives until I found an old IBM that was
noise-free.

-d