[mythtv-users] Removing laugh tracks from recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 4 20:31:52 EDT 2006

On 05/04/2006 07:45 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

>>>Seems like I read about that being done someplace, perhaps in the
>>>EU ? They had two sound tracks, one with and one sans laughtrack.
>>>

>>In that wikipedia article referred to earlier in this thread there is
>>discussion of the M*A*S*H DVD's that allow the end user to choose the
>>audio track with or without canned laughter.
>>
>>It would be easier however if someone just passed a law banning canned
>>laughter.
>>
>Please Add a Prohibition Against the Following:
>
>Previews and commercials on purchased DVDs/Tapes

Gotta say that I personally think the previews on purchased DVD's are
often more interesting than the feature.  So, I'll have to write my
representative to voice my opposition to this act.

>Useless "FBI" warnings

Heh.  Funny you should mention that because it's /already/ illegal to
skip over that warning if the DVD is played back in a certain country in
which the warning is commonly found...  So, we currently have pretty
much the exact opposite of the law you want (thanks to DMCA and DVD CCA
licensing).

>Newscasts that spend more airtime teasing a story than actually
>presenting it

I'll support this one.  The one that prevented me from ever watching a
newscast again was the ~6:00pm teaser I saw for the local TV station's
11:00pm newscast on Saving Private Ryan's opening day.  The announcer
said something to the effect of, "Many veterans are experiencing trauma
due to the intense scenes in Saving Private Ryan.  The VA has set up a
help line for veterans to call for help.  Tune in at 11:00 and we'll
give you the number for the help line."

Mike
"Newscast free since July '98"