[mythtv-users] Free Internet TV?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu May 4 23:51:17 EDT 2006

On May 4, 2006, at 9:19 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

> I just installed deomcracytv on windows after seeing it referred to
> elsewhere. It combines an rss reader, bittorrent client and viewer all
> in one gui. The videos do not have to be torrentable, the program uses
> the enclosure url in the rss feed to determine the download method.
>
> On windows it uses an embedded VLC to as the player. On linux it uses
> xine-lib from what i can make out (I haven't got it going on linux
> yet,
> haven't tried actually).
>
> The software is only at 0.82, and it shows. The concept is quite nice,
> subscribe to rss feeds, get a thumbnail and summary of each show in
> the
> rss feed and click once to download it, once again to play it.
>
> Complaints I have seen on the forums include the need to hack the
> python
> code to change the directory for the downloads to go to, need to hack
> the python code to change the ports bittorrent uses, the player
> freezing, the player refusing to play after playing a few tracks
> (fixed
> by a restart) and the quality of the feeds [1]. In other word beta
> issues. The "need to hack" issues can be reduced by coding some config
> file stuff into the code, ie a gui that writes to a config file.
> player
> issues will be worked out in due course. I suspect that it will be
> a lot
> more usable after a few more beta releases.
>
> However to me it is just a dumbed down point and click version of
> what I
> do already with torrentflux, wget and an rss reader. And if I wanted
> dumbed down I wouldn't be on this list would I?

Wouldn't know about the Windows version, the only Windows I have runs
under QEMU on my Linux workstation, works pretty well but only
emulates a Cirrus 5446 PCI video card so most video is problematical.

The Linux build instructions seem a bit vague, but if I get some
spare time I might try and get that going. Looks like I'll need to
start with the boost libraries (I'm running Gentoo on that machine).

Works like a charm on my G5 OS/X Mac though.