[mythtv-users] Why does everyone love the FX5200?

Andrew Kuan askuan at gmail.com
Fri May 5 00:34:24 EDT 2006

I have a GeForce4 MX440. I use XvMC which works fairly well for decoding HD
content. However, I have noticed that a) I still get some pausing while OSD
is up with both SD and HD content, b) A/V doesn't stay in sync in HD despite
CPU utilization being only 50% or so, and c) after I switch back and forth
between different HD channels a few times, eventually MythTV stops
responding to input and I have to ctrl-alt-backspace to break out of X.

So is going with an FX5200 likely to cure any of these ills? Particularly
with point B, I find it strange that I'm still getting loss of A/V sync
despite only having 50% CPU utilization. Would that imply that the
bottleneck is with the GPU somehow? What am I missing with all these FX5200s
that everyone buys?

Thanks for any opinions any of you have to offer.

-- Andy