[mythtv-users] Why does everyone love the FX5200?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri May 5 04:13:27 EDT 2006

On 5/4/06, Andrew Kuan <askuan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a GeForce4 MX440. I use XvMC which works fairly well for decoding HD
> content. However, I have noticed that a) I still get some pausing while OSD
> is up with both SD and HD content, b) A/V doesn't stay in sync in HD despite
> CPU utilization being only 50% or so, and c) after I switch back and forth
> between different HD channels a few times, eventually MythTV stops
> responding to input and I have to ctrl-alt-backspace to break out of X.
>
> So is going with an FX5200 likely to cure any of these ills? Particularly
> with point B, I find it strange that I'm still getting loss of A/V sync
> despite only having 50% CPU utilization. Would that imply that the
> bottleneck is with the GPU somehow? What am I missing with all these FX5200s
> that everyone buys?
>
> Thanks for any opinions any of you have to offer.
>
> -- Andy

Heh, that was me about 6 months ago!  The problem is that I can't
honestly answer your question.  When I threw in my FX5200 is when I
noticed Myth wasn't using XvMC at all, and recompiled, this time
making sure XvMC was in there, and now (with the FX5200 in the box) it
works great.

One of the things that I definitely like about the FX5200 I bought is
that it's a DVI card (VGA and Svideo added at no additional cost ;) )
so it's hooks in nicely to my digital projector.  My MX440 only had
VGA and Svid.

So, I think what most people like about it is usability, easy to find,
low cost, and nice selection (DVI, VGA and Svid for 30 bucks from just
about any e-store selling them).

Chad