[mythtv-users] Transcode or Nuvexport issue from mpg (mpeg) to avi

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Fri May 5 08:48:14 EDT 2006

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 08:54:41AM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
> As far as I can tell, there is something weird about certain kinds of
> streams when they get converted to the raw format used by
> mythtranscode's fifo's.  Encodes that work fine on the raw files fail
> when you run them through mythtranscode, which is necessary in order to
> deal with cutlists, and because it's far more robust at dealing with
> messed up frames than any of the encoders are.

I've also been having problems with nuvexporting some DVB-T
recordings, and I wonder if my problem is related to this one,
although the symptoms are different.

For most of my DVB-T recordings, nuvexport works brilliantly.  But for
a few recordings with bad enough interference to cause audio pops or
squawks, the exported avi loses sync pretty badly after the audio
problem, for the rest of the recording.  I can play the original mpeg
recording under myth without losing sync.

I've also noticed that on a few avi files produced by nuvexport, when
I play them (using myth's internal video player), the program duration
reported by myth is much shorter than the actual program duration.  I
can skip forward up until I get to the reported duration; after that
the program will still play fine, but I can't skip forward anymore.
Using mythcommflag --video on the program fixes this permanently, so
it's not a big deal.  I haven't worked out what's special about some
recordings that makes this happen.

I'm running nuvexport version 0.3 0.20060315.svn, and the 0.19-fixes
branch of mythtv as of 2006-04-29 (sorry, I don't know the svn magic
to get the revision number) on an x86_64 under Debian sid.

--
Peter Schachte              The most unpardonable sin in society is
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        independence of thought.