[mythtv-users] DCT6200 stb and Comcast HDTV recording via Firewire

***~=[ n e i l ]=~*** neil-on-mythtv at restricted.dyndns.org
Fri May 5 08:45:48 EDT 2006

Hey guys,

I got my linux box recording local HDTV channels(abc,pbs,nbc, etc...) via
firewire. However, I changed to other non-local HD channels such as
Discovery HD, TNT HD, ESPN HD and ran test-mpeg2 again. It was not able to
capture any stream. I went to the diagnostic mode the 6200 stb while I was
on the HD channel I was troubleshooting, I found out that the mode was in
ENC which means encrypted. I also remember seeing a value of "NO" under
Subscribe. I was told on the #mythtv-users irc channel that even if you are
not subscribed to those, there is a chance that you will be able to record
via firewire. However, I think, in my case, it's impossible because the mode
of the channel I want to record is in ENCrypted mode.

So guys, I would just like to confirm if my analysis is correct. If so, I
will be returning this DCT6200 stb because I really don't need to record the
local HD channels since my linux box is already recording those via Air2PC
and Fusion HDTV5lite.

Is there any other way though to recording this kind of situation? :P

I would really appreciated your response. :)

Thanks,

Neil