[mythtv-users] OT: HTPC shutdown hangs

glen martin lists at locutory.org
Fri May 5 11:45:08 EDT 2006

This is a little bit OT, in that on the surface it may be less about
Myth than it is about the HTPC on which Myth runs. But it seems relevant
here in that I've never seen this on any of my half-dozen non-Myth
systems so perhaps it is some kernel driver issue or something.

A 'feature' of a HTPC, that it usually has no keyboard or mouse, becomes
a bit problematic when 'init 0' pauses and prompts for admin interaction
during the system shutdown sequence.

What is happening is that I'm using acpid to catch acpi power button
events, and the default shutdown action of 'init 0' is triggered.  This
kills processes and background daemons and such, spins down the disc,
then powers off.

Except that it doesn't always.  Most of the time it works fine, but
sometimes (eg maybe every 2nd to 10th shutdown), after X is stopped and
the screen shows the stale boot-time login prompt, it then displays that
boot time message about Enter a root password or press Ctrl-D to
continue.  I've only ever seen this message before at boot time, always
to do with a disc which needed a manual fsck because it hadn't been shut
down cleanly.  Except right now the disc ought to be clean in that it is
up and being shut down (hopefully).

Sadly, all this occurs after syslog is stopped. :)

It doesn't seem to matter if the shutdown is during playback or sitting
at a Myth menu.

Has anyone seen this, or have any suggestions?

Details for the incredulous:
  - myth 0.19, frontend only, using myth (not NFS) to transfer data
  - acpid 1.0.4
  - gcc 3.4.5
  - kernel 2.6.16 + gentoo patches
  - gentoo, mostly stable, except for nvidia 8656
  - ext2 partitions (frontend only)

Thanks,

glen