[mythtv-users] HD, XvMC, and realtime

glen martin lists at locutory.org
Fri May 5 12:42:59 EDT 2006

Brad Fuller wrote:
> Gary Dezern wrote:
>
>> I can't seem to figure out WHY I'm getting all
>> the prebuffering pause messages.  Neither processor core is fully
>> loaded,
What is your top delay (press D while top running, or start top with -d
flag). Default is 3 seconds, so the load is averaged over a 3 second
period. I noticed this when I was testing an Athlon XP 3200, with a high
bitrate HD stream the load was only around 40-50%, peaking to 60% when
popups were being inserted. No problem, right? However, setting the
delay shorter to 1 second showed a different picture, in which the cpu
load was spiking to 100% when a popup was displayed. No doubt shortening
the period further would show more of the impact.
>> XvMC is being used, storage is local on a dedicated XFS
>> formatted SATA drive.

<snip>
> Please. And, let's keep this thread going. I too have plenty of CPU
> power, XvMC, blah blah... and I get lots of NVP pauses. Seems media
> dependent.
This is what I've noticed ... some streams I'm playing are high bit rate
(~17000 kb/s for some HD channels) and some much lower (SD or recorded
from analog are 3,000 - 5,000), and the high bitrate are somewhat of a
problem.

glen