[mythtv-users] MythArchive has been added to svn - Please test

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Fri May 5 14:35:24 EDT 2006

Niels Dybdahl wrote:
> On 5/4/06, *Paul Harrison* <mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
> <mailto:mythtv at dsl.pipex.com>> wrote:
>
>     I've just added to svn the first release of MythArchive which is a new
>     plugin for myth that allow you create DVD's from your myth recordings.
>     Its still a work in progress but is at a stage where I would like
>     people
>     to test it so I can get some feed back on what works and what doesn't.
>     At the moment its in svn as a separate module but eventually when its
>     had more testing and is more complete it will probably be moved in
>     with
>     the other plugins. Its based on the old MythBurn scripts but has been
>     rewritten to reduce the number of dependencies and to hopefully
>     make it
>     easier to install.
>
>     I've created a  wiki page giving more details of what MythArchive
>     can do
>     and how to install it.
>     http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythArchive
>

> Looks very promising. I especially like that it can handle MPEG4s as
> well. I would like to try it this weekend.
> Some questions:
> - Can it reduce the size of recordings, if they are too large ? Does
> it use mythtranscode or tcrequant for that ?
You can optionally use tcrequant. Large files like HD recordings are
re-encoded to make them DVD compliant using ffmpeg.
On my todo list is to allow you to choose a profile when re-encoding so
you can say have a HQ profile that will fit 1 hour of high quality video
on a single layer DVD or other profiles that allow say 2 hours in SP
quality, 4 hour in LP quality etc.
> - Is the new archive format playable ? (Currently I archive with the
> nuv+sql option from nuvexport which is playable on both Linux and
> Windows. But that method breaks when the database structure change...)
Its just a copy of the original file plus an xml file with all the
metadata in it.
> - I guess the conversion takes place in the background, like with
> mythburn. Can you confirm that ?

Yep.
> Best regards
> Niels Dybdahl