[mythtv-users] Moving from MCE to MythTV

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Fri May 5 16:46:35 EDT 2006

On 5/5/06, Ron Rademaker <ron at ttvavanti.nl> wrote:

> I'm considering moving my current windows media center to mythtv (using
> Debian). Just want to check some things with you (to see if everything
> is possible, tips are also welcome).

FYI, a friend of mine semi-recently set up a Myth box using Debian.  I don't
recall which version of Debian it was, but it was, I believe, the most
recent version as of a few months ago.  Anyway, he was using SATA drives and
come to find out the Debian installer kernel doesn't seem to support SATA.
So, if you're using SATA drives make sure you check the installer kernel for
issues.

My friend ended up having to install to a PATA drive, update kernel and
drivers, then copy all his data to the SATA drive and remove the original
install drive.  Major PITA.

HTH,
Brad Benson