[mythtv-users] MythArchive has been added to svn - Please test

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat May 6 01:55:03 EDT 2006

On 05/05/2006 02:58 PM, Cory Papenfuss wrote:
>> Its a good idea in principle but there are some limitations with it. I'm
>> sure it could be done though.
>>
>> The video file on a DVD , has I know you already know, have been bashed
>> about a bit and often aren't really the same as the original file. ...
>  	Ah... hadn't thought of that.  I don't have any experience with
> regular ol' ivtv captures with a single mp2 audio stream.  I'd guess
> that's the majority of users.  In the U.S. at least digital TV is stymied
> by everyone wanting to encrypt, protect, and make a buck off from it, so
> everything is either OTO HD, or captured from CVBS.
>
>  	It's getting complicated already, but maybe full vs. partial in
> the simple cases?  Actually, the DVD stream can have all those other
> things in it as well, no?  So long as it's got a compliant video stream
> size (e.g. 720x480), ac3 audio, and NAV packets, it's acceptable, no?

I think he was referring more to the fact that STB-playable DVD creation
means that multiple MPEG program streams are assembled into a "suitable
DVD filesystem."  During this process, the MPEG's are stuck
together/broken apart into VOB file(s) with a maximum size of 1GB each
(most will be exactly 1GB).  That may mean that a single VOB file
contains more than one Myth recording (and quite likely not a whole
number, either).

So, to get a specific recording off a STB-playable DVD, you'd have to
break it out of its container (for a second time, since the same was
true for putting it into the VOB).  So it's not the same file you
originally recorded.  Basically, it's been VOBified.  :)

Mike