[mythtv-users] OT: MythBurn and HD DVD Player (not HD-DVD or BR)

Henk Schoneveld belcampo at zonnet.nl
Sat May 6 03:39:27 EDT 2006

> Does anybody know of any DVD player that would play 1080i or 720p
> content?  I have a few show I recorded that are 3 GB that I could put
> on single DVDs so I could watch them with a DVD player.  I don't want
> HD upconversion only (I do, but with the capability of decoding higher
> bitrate) or HD-DVD or Blue-Ray.
There are several AVeL LinkPlayer2 more or less compatible players around,
they are base on the Sigma EM8620 chipset and offer 720p and 1080i, have a
Mips 166MHz CPU like Tivo and het network connection, some have wireless and
DVI as my Snazio has. It plays MPEG2 MPEG4 DIVX WMV9. It has a limited
web-browser and there is server software included, but also open-source
alternatives. With WIZD you can browse all Myth stuff, recorded, music,
pictures and downloaded HD demos. It should even be possible to use such a
DVD-player as 'full' mythfrontend by a web-based frontend. Just not figured
out how to do that.

Henk Schoneveld

There is info in the list about a Philips presentation, that presentation
describes pretty much what I want. They have as a demo project with myth.
They use the same Mips CPU but with a Philips decoder instead of Sigma
designs. It can be done.