[mythtv-users] Moving from MCE to MythTV

Niels Dybdahl Niels at Dybdahl.dk
Sat May 6 14:17:05 EDT 2006

> > Probably not, depending on what you want. It's not a problem,
> > for example, to run a separate X session for each display and
> > keep Mythtv on the TV display and a desktop on your monitor.
>
> Would someone mind pointing me in the correct direction on how to do this?
> had no idea that you could do something like this! This could be very cool
> for the frontend in my room...be able to use it both ways...interesting.

I did setup one system like this with a nvidia GeForce4 MX440 card and
FC4/atrpms.
You can find the xorg.conf on
http://niels.dybdahl.dk/public/xorg.conf.twinview
I did find some problems when running this setup with Gnome:
1. If a recording was being shown on the TV, then Gnome would hang if I
started two applications on the other display
2. A window called something like "authentication indicator" showed up on
the Gnome desktop and that window could not be closed
3. The toolbars on the TV desktop would not disappear completely wen MythTV
was running. Autohide did almost remove them, so that was ok.
None of these problems showed up when running KDE...

Niels Dybdahl