[mythtv-users] Cheap Possible Frontend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun May 7 13:43:05 EDT 2006

On May 7, 2006, at 10:46 AM, John P. Mitchell wrote:

> All,
>
>     Looks like a SiS chipset.. Not sure how well the integrated video
> does video decode assist..
>
> A little searching and I came across what appears to be the specs for
> the system:
> http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?
> MenuID=62&LanID=9&DetailID=143&DetailName=Specification

Looks like you did better than I did on finding info, but, as you
say, I still don't know how much, if any, help I can get from the
graphics "acceleration". It will need both the innate capability to
"help", plus drivers that will work with Linux.

I never heard of "ThizLinux", but it apparently includes KDE,
Mozilla, Evolution, the Gimp and Xine, the last implying at least
some video capability. One reviewer states that the failure to
include Gnome is an "affront to sanity", I think it indicates some
good sense :-) I'm sure I can put any distro I want on it though.

The only thing that really bothers me is the limitation of 256MB of
RAM, even though it has only 1 DIMM slot I don't see why I couldn't
put a 512MB stick in there, why would they limit it in that way ?

But how can I go wrong for $120? I think I'll order one, if all else
fails I've been looking for replacement mail server anyway :-)