[mythtv-users] Help with Video Modes, please

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Sun May 7 16:50:50 EDT 2006

On 5/7/06, Brian Meehan <emt244671 at gmail.com> wrote:

> (Sorry if this is a repost, but it never made it back to me from the
> mailing list, so... )
>
> Hello folks, I'd like to ask for some help getting my X resolution
> correct for mythTV. X is currently locked at 640x480. I'm handy at the
> *nix command line, but X Windows is not really my forte, so any help
> you could offer would be appreciated.
>
> Here's my setup:
> Motherboard: K8NGM2-FID. It has VGA, DVI and RGB component video (TV-out)
> onboard, using PCI-Express and an Nvidia GeForce 6150 chipset
> (http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8NGM2-FID&class=mb)
> PVR-500 x2
> Sony KE-42TS2 Television. Connected via DVI-D.
> Fedora Core 5 with NvidiaGraphics8756, all updates from atrpms
>
> Here's my (mostly default) xorg.conf. The Monitor section that's
> commented out is what worked with my old MythTV box (got it from
> Jarod's guide). According to the user manual for the TV, the native
> resolution is 1024x1024 with rectangular pixels. It does 1080i from my
> cable box over DVI quiet nicely.
> ================================
> Section "Monitor"
>
> ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
> ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
> ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
> ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
>        Identifier   "Monitor0"
>        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>        ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x800"
> ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
>        HorizSync    31.5 - 90.0
>        VertRefresh  60.0 - 60.0
>        Option      "dpms"
> EndSection
>
> #Section "Monitor"
> #        Identifier   "MonitorHD"
> #        VendorName   "Sony"
> #        ModelName    "42in HDTV via RCA DT300"
> #        HorizSync    33.8 - 33.8
> #        VertRefresh  59.9 - 59.9
> #        ModeLine     "888x508in540p" 37.3 888 944 1048 1104 508 534
> 548 563 +hsync +vsync
> #EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>        Identifier  "Videocard0"
>        Driver      "nv"
>        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>        BoardName   "nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>        Identifier "Screen0"
>        Device     "Videocard0"
>        Monitor    "Monitor0"
>        DefaultDepth     24
>        SubSection "Display"
>                Viewport   0 0
>                Depth     16
>                Modes    "800x600" #"640x480"
>        EndSubSection
>        SubSection "Display"
>                Viewport   0 0
>                Depth     24
>                Modes    "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600"
> #"640x480"
>        EndSubSection
> EndSection

Unfortunately I was in the same boat as you and I had to resort to hooking
up my TV to a Windows computer and run PowerStrip over a DVI connection to
the TV. I you have a windows computer to do this it is fairly simple and
only takes about 15 minutes. I checked the Modeline Database and nothing
comes close to your TV
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Modeline_Database
So you have to either use Powerstrip or you can check out your X11 logs and
post them here. I don't know what flavor of linux you are running but mine
are at
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
Sorry I wasn't more helpful but if you need more help from either route post
away and we can go from there.

Allan