[mythtv-users] Frontend Feature Proposal: MythToGo

Niels Dybdahl Niels at Dybdahl.dk
Mon May 8 16:48:39 EDT 2006

On 5/8/06, matt mead <m-mythtv at goof.com> wrote:

> I'm curious if anyone besides me would find this useful:
>
> Support in frontend for caching db information and recordings in ~/.mythtv
> such
> that you can select a subset of recordings and the frontend will store the
> recorded data and enough information from the mythconverg db that they can
> be
> played without contacting the backend.
>
> This would allow you to select a set of shows you might want to take on
> the
> road with you using your laptop, perform a synchronization, and then
> browse/playback those shows while away from your backend server.
>
> Typically I do similar things with the data from the recordings directory
> - I
> just manually copy the files and open them with something like
> VLC.  However in
> particular for recordings from my PVR-350, if I seek within them using
> VLC, it
> starts stuttering on audio and will not recover.  Having these available
> via
> the standard myth interface, with capability for skipping commercials,
> recording the start position, etc. would be really nice.  It might also be
> nice
> to have the synchronization perform a local transcode, too, since in most
> cases
> while I'm away from my 9' screen, I can tolerate a lower resolution and
> bitrate
> for watching recorded programs.
>
> Thoughts?

Currently I do something similar with nuvexport. If I go on vacation and
want a couple of recordings on my notebook, I export with nuvexport as
"nuv+sql". Usually I append the name of the movie to the filename of the nuv
file, so that I know which file is which movie without opening the .txt
file.
The nuv files are playable without the frontend on both Windows and Linux,
so that works fine for me, but an integrated solution would be nice.
Maybe the xml+nuv archive format from MythArchive could be used as "to-go"
format ?

Niels Dybdahl