[mythtv-users] A8N-VM CSM success

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Mon May 8 17:41:33 EDT 2006

glen martin wrote:

> Getting this thread back to that described in the subject (hint):
>
> I took the PCIE video card out and set my video RAM to 128K per this
> suggestion and it did take care of a lot of the stuttering / prebuffer
> pauses. Even with my A64 3200+. So video is working well with Standard
> driver and kernel deinterlacing. Doh!
>
> There is still the occasional prebuffer pause / stutter, when a popup
> display (eg press 'i' twice) is fading out, for very high bitrate
> playback (eg Survivor on HD, running around 17800 kb/s). This runs
> around 85% CPU utilization, spiking to 100% as the popup is displayed.
>
> (I haven't yet tested this against the S-video, this is displaying to a
> window in a 1600x1200 desktop).
>
> However, I still can't power off. I've got BIOS 0702, and a fixed DSDT from
>
> http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/view.php?manufacturer=ASUS&name=A8N-VM+CSM
> and when the system shuts down it displays "Power off" but doesn't.
> Which is a problem for a HTPC that will be operated by the kids. Do/did
> you have this problem?

FWIW, I am using the 1001 BIOS and I have not problem powering off the
system. One thing to note is that I include 'irqpoll' on the boot line.
Without it, there are some kernel oops's in /var/log/messages and the
computer is not as happy about rebooting or powering off (although I can
force it with 'reboot -f' or 'halt -f').