[mythtv-users] Odds of Linux CableCARD support?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Mon May 8 18:27:38 EDT 2006

On 5/8/06, Joe Votour <joevph at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Somebody could disassemble the binary module and
> figure out what it does, in combination with some
> hardware tools, but that makes it specific to the TiVo
> CableCard reader, unless somebody else uses the same
> chipset for PC CableCard readers (I wouldn't know).

This would likely violate the DMCA as it would involve what is presumably a
encryption system, and one would need to decrypt it without authorization.
The DMCA specifically exempts this prohibition to make interoperable systems
(which this no doubt would be), but the deCSS defendants tried and lost with
that defense.  So this is likely a non-starter unless the company that runs
cable labs allows for it.  In other words, not happening.