[mythtv-users] time for a new graphics card

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue May 9 11:08:09 EDT 2006

On May 9, 2006, at 8:54 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> On 5/9/06, Andrew Hutchinson <ahutchinson.mythtv at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> Lots of people talk about this 5200's on the list, and I can
>> understand why
>> because they seem to have all the features that are needed for a
>> MythTV and
>> they are cheap.
>>
>>  However, in my situation I want to dual boot the box so that I
>> can load
>> Windows to play games at times.  Because I want to play games, I
>> want a
>> reasonable graphics card.  Would there be any disadvantage in using
>> something like a 6600GT compared with the 5200?
>
> Only for XvMC currently, though Daniel K. is working on some new XvMC
> code that should allow the 6xxx series to perform, hopefully, at the
> same level as the 5200 in XvMC.
>
> There was also some issue with the 6200 (iirc) and the nvidia drivers
> OpenGL Vsync implementation from what I understand. Though I believe
> the new driver may have fixed this?
>
> In the end, if your not using XvMC, which since your gaming I assume
> your CPU is more than enough to handle HD, the 6600GT should be fine
> for MythTV usage.

Given the price situation, you might even want to consider a 6800 if
gaming is important to you. I recently bought a 6800 (AGP interface,
128MB) for $114, an excellent gaming card (I'm told).

No I'm not into games, I got it as a gift for my nephew who's hooked
on Enemy Territory.

7800 series cards are now going for under $300, I have no idea how
they might work with Myth though.