[mythtv-users] remote dvd drive (was: remove dvd drive)

Dylan R. Semler dsemler at macalester.edu
Tue May 9 11:55:58 EDT 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:

>On 5/9/06, Dylan R. Semler <dsemler at macalester.edu> wrote:
>

>>I've got my master backend server hooked up to a tv, however the backend
>>doesn't have a dvd drive.  Is there any way to use a remote dvd drive to
>>watch movies on the tv--either through myth or by mounting /dev/dvd or
>>the mountpoint via NFS?  I've tried the nfs and I kept getting
>>permission denied.
>>
>>If anyone has some ideas, let me know.
>>
>>Dylan
>>

>I've mounted a DVD movie via NFS without problem in the past, perhaps
>you just need to change the export/mount options to get beyond the
>permission denied problem?

Did you mount the mount point (i.e. /media/cdrom for FC) or the device
(/dev/dvd)?  If I try to mount /media/cdrom while the dvd is mounted
there, I get
mount: boron:/media/cdrom failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
in the command line.  In /var/log/messages, it seems the nfsdeamon
didn't have a problem with it:
May  9 11:46:51 boron rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from
mythtv:761 for /media/cdrom (/media/cdrom)

If I unmount the dvd from /media/cdrom, then I can nfs mount that
directory.  If I then mount the dvd back to /media/cdrom, none of the
file structure of the dvd shows up remotely (but it does locally).

As for ripping ISOs and mounting those, I do have several on my computer
and they seem to fill up hard disk space quickly.  Also, it's not
practical to wait to rip them before you can watch them, especially with
rented movies.

Thanks for the suggestion anyways.

Dylan