[mythtv-users] time for a new graphics card

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue May 9 11:59:51 EDT 2006

On 5/9/06, Andrew Hutchinson <ahutchinson.mythtv at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 09/05/06, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>  On 5/9/06, Andrew Hutchinson
> <ahutchinson.mythtv at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Lots of people talk about this 5200's on the list, and I can understand
> why
> > because they seem to have all the features that are needed for a MythTV
> and
> > they are cheap.
> >

> In the end, if your not using XvMC, which since your gaming I assume
> your CPU is more than enough to handle HD, the 6600GT should be fine
> for MythTV usage.
>
>  Actually, I would like XvMC to work so that I don't overload my CPU
> (although it would probably handle it).  I have done a search, and here is
> one thread that makes it seem like it will work:

a CPU isn't like an engine, having it do more work doesn't put wear
and tear on it. (ok, technically yes, it does, but with proper cooling
the CPU will last much longer than its useful life).

Plus XvMC on the nvidia cards isn't as good as straight up Xv if your
CPU can handle it.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!