[mythtv-users] OT: Replying to a thread

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 11 11:35:23 EDT 2006

On 05/10/2006 09:29 AM, Yalusa Jongihlati wrote:
> I read the MythTV:Users mailing list via the Gossamer site. Is there a
> way to reply to a specific post on that site (eg pressing a particular
> option)? Or do I continue the way I am doing now by copying and
> pasting the relevant post I want to reply to into a mail and replying
> from there?

Sign up for the mythtv-users mailing list and reply using your mail
client's Reply button.  If you don't do this, you lose the proper
threading information (i.e. References and In-Reply-To headers).
Gossamer doesn't make this information available, so without the actual
e-mails, you can't properly reply, and your posts will not appear in the
correct thread in working clients/Gossamer (instead, you will start a
new thread).

Note, also, that you can get a single mail per day with a "digest" of
the posts to the lists (see the link to mythtv-users at the bottom of
this post).  If you have a working client that can properly break apart
digests, you can use that to reply.  But please don't do this if your
client makes a message, "Re: mythtv-users Digest Vol XX, Issue XX",
because that's actually worse than what you're currently doing--the
subject is wrong, too.  If you change the subject on a message like that
created by a non-digest-aware client, the end result is identical to
what you're doing with Gossamer (starting new threads).

Also, if you refuse to do this correctly ;), please make sure you copy
and paste /all/ the relevant information from the post.  All replies
should have a subject, relevant information quoted (using something
other than spaces/indentation to indicate the quoting), and an
/attribution/ section (i.e. "On ..., so-and-so wrote:" or something like
that.  Otherwise, the posts seem far out of context.  Your posts have
been better than many, but seem to be lacking the attribution information.

Thanks,
Mike