[mythtv-users] OT: HDTV TV's

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu May 11 12:22:10 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 11:54 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/11/2006 09:42 AM, Greg Woods wrote:
> > You can't even count on what the manual says either. The manual for my
> > Pioneer PRO-R06 says that it's 1024x768 resolution, but EDID shows that
> > it can also do 1280x768, and in fact that works in X.
>
> Input signal != output resolution.  Scaling...

I don't know enough about all this stuff to understand what you mean
here (if I did, I'd probably have HD working by now).

What I do know is, when I first turn on a signal, or switch inputs on
the TV, the TV will display the type of signal. I always assumed that
was the type of signal it was receiving, but maybe I'm wrong?

With X/VGA input, using the 1280x768 modeline, it says it's "Standard
FULL2", and it displays full 16:9 screen, which results in a "stretched"
picture since the recording being displayed came from an analog channel
( via PVR-500 card) and is therefore a 4:3 image. But it does nicely
fill the screen. (It's actually better for watching hockey games because
the bigger picture allows one to see the puck better, but it looks
strange if it's a show with a lot of closeups; everybody looks really
fat :-). If I use the 1024x768 modeline, it says it is "Standard 4:3"
and uses the gray bars on the sides. If I display an HD channel from the
Comcast box via HDMI, the TV says it's "1080i". I wish I understood what
all this means )-:

--Greg