[mythtv-users] OT: HDTV TV's

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu May 11 13:21:06 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 12:55 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> And, if your TV actually has a native resolution of 1024x768, the image
> represented by the input signal is being scaled to fit on the available
> pixels.

OK, but if that's so, then why does EDID report a 1280x768 resolution?

*Something* definitely happens when I change the resolution in X. I
guess the TV must be able to detect what the resolution of the incoming
signal is, and decide based on that whether to stretch it to full 16:9
screen or show a 4:3 screen with the gray bars?

> Chances are it assumes that a 1024x768 resolution is coming from a
> computer, so it scales the image to use less than 1024x768 pixels

So if the native resolution is actually 1024x768, but the screen is a
16:9 aspect ratio, that implies that the pixels are either not square,
or not spaced the same vertically as they are horizontally. I guess it
never occurred to me that they would build it like that.

>  since your
> manual says the TV has a native resolution of 1024x768, it actually
> does.  However, it will accept input signals at higher resolutions.

Which brings me to my real question: how do I get X (with nvidia 8756)
to send it a higher resolution signal? I tried "TVOutFormat" "HD1080i",
which is acknowledged in the Xorg.0.log file at startup, but has no
apparent effect on the signal sent to the TV.

Now, it may be that because I have problems getting both firewire and my
HD-3000 card to work, I don't have any .nuv files of HD recordings yet.
Would Myth cause X to magically start displaying a 1080i signal if I
played an actual HD .nuv file? Or should the TV be telling me that the
signal is 1080i right from when X is started if I have it set up
correctly?

All the HD recordings I have were captured off the firewire with
"test-mpeg2" (during the rare times it actually worked). I tried playing
those with mplayer, but I don't know how to make it play in full screen
mode (it plays in a window) so I can't tell if X would magically switch
to 1080i when it is trying to display a real HD picture.

Thank you for all your help so far. I'm getting closer, but I'm not
there yet.

--Greg