[mythtv-users] plugin idea: MythNielsen

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Thu May 11 16:58:01 EDT 2006

On May 9, 2006, at 05.15, Andrew Hutchinson wrote:

> On 09/05/06, Andrew Hutchinson <ahutchinson.mythtv at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>

> On 09/05/06, Chad < masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > And the absolute worst is the advertising for prescription drugs. I
> > understand that only the USA permits this. I wonder why? It must
> > work, or they wouldn't keep doing it, and the thought of people
> > ingesting potentially hazardous drugson the basis of a TV ad really
> > scares me.
>
> ;)  Did I mention I work in a Pharmacy?

[snip]

> Otherwise, they are simply saying
> "Hey moron, go tell your Doctor what he should be prescribing you";
> and I don't understand the logic there...
>
> Heh, stupid medicine.
>
> Chad
>

> It might not seem logical to you, but this form of advertising is
> very lucrative (and completely irresponsible) on the part of the
> drug company.  The fact is people do go to the doctor and say "I
> need XXX drug for this" and a lot of doctors will prescribe it.
> This is especially the case when the drug companies make it known
> on the advert what symptoms their drugs are used for.
>
> One really bad case was "Adult ADD" which I saw while in America.
> It went along the lines of "Are you tired in the morning?", or "Do
> you have trouble concentrating for long periods of time?".. I
> really couldn't believe what I was hearing!  This would never be
> allowed anywhere else.  Anyway, it works, and in my opinion its a
> problem.

I remember those, and I had the exact same reaction. Vaguely reminds
me of these suicide warning sign pamphlets they had, and I went
through one, and checked off everything that could be directly linked
to I.B. (International Baccalaureate, kinda like AP). It was shocking
how many there were.

> And trust me, they pay big money to market to the doctors too at
> the "luncheons" like you suggest.. its all a scam really.
>
> It might not seem logical to you, but this form of advertising is
> very lucrative (and completely irresponsible) on the part of the
> drug company.  The fact is people do go to the doctor and say "I
> need XXX drug for this" and a lot of doctors will prescribe it.
> This is especially the case when the drug companies make it known
> on the advert what symptoms their drugs are used for.
>
> One really bad case was "Adult ADD" which I saw while in America.
> It went along the lines of "Are you tired in the morning?", or "Do
> you have trouble concentrating for long periods of time?".. I
> really couldn't believe what I was hearing!  This would never be
> allowed anywhere else.  Anyway, it works, and in my opinion its a
> problem.
>
> And trust me, they pay big money to market to the doctors too at
> the "luncheons" like you suggest.. its all a scam really.

This reminds me of a Science Friday I listened to, where they talked
about drug advertisements. It was actually pretty relevant to this
discussion (now if the discussion were relevant to the thread ;)