[mythtv-users] Backend drops frames at start of recording; add RAM?

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Thu May 11 17:01:55 EDT 2006

> On May 11, 2006, at 2:36 PM, kanetse at gmail.com wrote:
>
> You can check to see if it is having to hit swap by monitoring it
> when the problem seems to be happening.
>
> Free, top, vmstat and a host of other programs can help to tell you
> what's happening.
>
> I doubt that swapping to disk would cause delays on the order of what
> you mention though, I'd have a look at your disk subsystem, check
> that DMA is enabled, make sure you;re not trying to store on a USB
> 1.1 drive etc., thugh to be honest even that sort of trouble
> shouldn't cause delays of a minute.

DMA is definitely enabled; no USB 1.1 devices around...

I will put in a cronjob to log the output of free, top, vmstat, etc.
at the top of every hour (during primetime, when I'm most likely to be
using 3 tuners simultaneously), and see what comes back.

But I'm not exaggerating about the 30s-1min delay.  Apparently at the
start of last night's episode of Lost, a character (Ana-Lucia) came
into the scene, said a few lines, and then left the scene; and there
wasn't a single frame of that character recorded.  All I saw was what
came before, a few split seconds of garbled pictures, and then the
scene afterwards. I didn't even know what I missed until I read the
episode review online.