[mythtv-users] MythTV output to HDMI IN

Nedim Cholich nedim.cholich at gmail.com
Thu May 11 20:14:23 EDT 2006

On 5/11/06, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/11/06, Nedim Cholich <nedim.cholich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/10/06, moogie <okcancel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > The 1280x768 that you can get is 720p which some people  think it's
> better
> > then 1080i. It's about personal preference and the kind of TV you have,
> > especially if you plan on watching HD. 1080i is "fuzzier" then 720p
> which
> > you may or may not like better. What I'm trying to say is that until we
> get
> > 1080p programming, 1080i is not all that and a bag of chips. Just my 2c.
>
> except that 1080i can be resolved into 1080p using IVTC, which is what
> the 1080p displays do. Whether 720p is better than 1080i, it really
> comes down to the content being watch. Sports do betterin 720p due to
> the high action content, pretty much everything else looks better in
> 1080i because of the greater pixel count. 1080p's only downside is
> that it requires more bandwitdth due to the increase in data.

You know this but there may be people on the list still confused about it.
Most TVs including newer ones will do 1080i but their native vertical
resolution may be 800 for example and they have to convert the 1080i signal
to it. That is why 1080i looks fuzzy most of the time. There are only few
TVs on the market right now that can do true 1080p (have native resolution
of 1920x1080). Most new TVs will have at most 1366x768 or 1280x1024 which is
in essence 720p. For MythTV, since it is a PC based solution, native
resolution is what counts. People with 4 year old rear projection TVs may
have HDTV sticker on it but at most their TV is 720p, probably 540p (I was
one of those).

Having said that, number of pixels in a TV isn't the only factor that
matters.