[mythtv-users] Portable or Exportable MythTv Environment

Cecil Watson cwatson at linkline.com
Fri May 12 15:46:08 EDT 2006

Phil Roberts wrote:
> How would one go about setting up a MythTv Environment (MySQL database &
> video repository) so that:
>
> Everything resided in a standalone disk or partition, where one could:
>
> copy the entire works ( MythTv stuff only, not system files ) to a USB drive
> for backup or export;
>
> then:
>
> connect the USB drive to another system to process (
> edit/transcode/burn/Watch...etc ) the recorded programs while the initial
> system records new programs ( it is the only one with a tuner and we want to
> take some of the workload off of the machine without networking overhead ).
>
> Presume both systems have MythTv installed on them as far as the binary
> files are concerned.
>
> Phil

This just popped into my head as I was reading this...

Use rsync to sync the recordings directory on system 1 to the USB drive.
 Backup the db on system 1 and save onto said drive or whatever.
Connect USB drive to system two and restore the db.  You can use rsync
again or simply mount the USB drive where MythTV would expect to find
it's recordings...  say /myth/tv ;)

You may want to take a look at this:

Regards,

Cecil