[mythtv-users] MythTV output to HDMI IN

moogie okcancel at yahoo.com
Fri May 12 19:46:38 EDT 2006

On 5/11/06, moogie <okcancel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Thanks for help.
>
> I understand the assumption that units in the same
> Sony KDF-**WF*** family would have the similar
> modelines.  I agree, so I've started searching,
> collecting and comparing modeline data from
> these siblings units.
>
> Yes, this will give me a small subset of values
> that would be relevant.
>
> My concerns:
>
> 1.  What if I enter some value(s) that are not
> applicable?

the tv should just ignore them, some may try and
display the content
if its "close enough", it will look weird, but it
should not damage
the tv, just don't keep it on the display for too
long.

> 2.  What if I change the value(s) and reboot to
> re-apply?

no need to reboot just to check modelines.

> Will this damage my Sony LCD RP hardware in any way?

like I said, it shouldn't, most tv's with real
electronics won't
display anything if its not proper. (my current hdtv
isn't smart
enough, so when its close enough it shows some weird
output, but
hasn't damaged my tv).

> From reading the Wiki modeline database and
> Gossamer forums it looks like people have had
> good luck with those modeline values.
> I don't think these values published by
> the manufacturers.  Are they?

not officialy. Though some that officialy support
connecting your PC
will, which some of the newer 1080p monitors do.

> I contacted Sony tech support and after a long
> runaround, they told me they don't publish
> this information.

they don't officially support connecting a PC to the
TV so they won't
publish the values.

> Which brings me to your Xorg log suggestion.
> Would these values be -THE- values to use?

yes, these are the values the engineers intended on
(when the put the
right values in the EDID report, which has been wrong
before, but this
is rare.

> This Sony supports 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i on
> the HDMI Video in.
> Assuming that I connect the (nVidia 5200 FX) DVI out
> to the (Sony) HDMI in.
> Will the Xorg log capture modeline data for each
> of the 4 possible HDMI Video inputs?

yea, the EDID report is a constant that isn't affected
by the current
modeline.

--
Steve

Thanks again Steve.

A couple of follow-up questions while I wait for
my nVidia 5200 FX to arrive.