[mythtv-users] X-Mame

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Sat May 13 03:57:49 EDT 2006

> I have all my emulators working except mame. I have tried apt-get install
> xmame-x and apt-get xmame-sdl and all that does is completely hose my entire
> install to the poitn where I have to format and start all over again... when
> doing xfonts-util something messes up and when it gets the required package
> xfonts-encoding it whines that it's trying to overwrite a file that is
> specified in xfonts-base. At this point my entire x server fails to load
> anymore.  I'm now scared to death of apt-get (I'm really used to gentoo, but
> I'm trying to get a feel for other distros so I'm using knoppmyth with
> debian). Is there any other way to get x-mame? It seems like of all the
> things, this and the lirc scripts are the hardest part of this setup! I have
> googled, I have searched the forums, I have tried a lot of different things
> and now I'm just looking for some new input. I'm running 0.19.

Well the obvious alternative is to compile it from source.

I'm running FC3 on a mostly 'rpm' install but I never found xmame in
the repos I use ( you must have a more exotic set).

Compiling was fairly straightforward though.

I downloaded xmame-0.105.tar.bz2 from x.mame.net

unzipped it                 $ bunzip2 <filename>

un-archived it              $ tar -xvf <filename>

now change into the directory it has created and edit the Makefile (I
think all I had to do was enable the joystick type).

run make                    $ make

now su to root and install       # make install

It all worked for me fairly easily but of course your machine may be
in a different state so there may be some surprises for you.

I'd recommend reading the README file as well first.

HTH