[mythtv-users] Stepmania + MythTV = brilliant, but--

John Brooks iresprite at gmail.com
Sun May 14 11:36:43 EDT 2006

Hey, all. In my continuing quest for consolidation of entertainment, I tried
to make Stepmania (a DDR clone running on Linux) launchable from the MythTV
frontend. I know Stepmania runs fine on its own if Ilaunch it from within
gnome; however, when attempting to launch it from the menu (using EXEC in
the mainmenu XML file), I get the following:

(process:670): Gtk-WARNING **: This process is currently running setuid or
setgid.
This is not a supported use of GTK+. You must create a helper
program instead. For further details, see:

    http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html

Refusing to initialize GTK+.
StepMania 3.9

Now, mythfrontend has the setuid bit set. From what I can tell, this is
necessary for scheduling priority purposes. My mythtv box is a dedicated
FE/BE, so the only things that would be running on this simultaneously would
be Stepmania and myth. Is it worth dropping the suid bit? I'm not certain
how I'd go about writing a helper program, as the error indicates.

Any thoughts?

Jack.