[mythtv-users] Stepmania + MythTV = brilliant, but--

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Sun May 14 14:26:42 EDT 2006

>> A workaround might be to use 'sudo' to launch stepmania as a different
>> user,
>> i.e. instead of running 'stepmania', you would run 'sudo -u mythtv
>> stepmania'
>> which would launch it as the mythtv user. The better solution in my
>> opinion
>

>I see. So I'd change the entry in mainmenu.xml to read as follows:
>
>        <action>EXEC sudo -u mythtv /home/mythtv/StepMania-3.9
>/stepmania</action>
>
>Is that what you're saying?

That's what I meant, but note that I haven't actually tried this myself.

>would be to make mythtv itself do this; running mythtv as root isn't a
>> reason to run everything mythtv launches as root as well.
>

>Hm. I'm not sure I understand what you mean; I am running mythtv with the
>mythtv user, not the root user. Sorry if I'm a little confused here. The way
>things go is that I have a bootup script that has root calling startx but
>invoking it as the mythtv user. Then mythfrontend is called from .xinitrc so
>that it's running as a mthtv user process.

OK, from your first posting I gathered that you were running mythtv
as setuid root, and that stepmania was inheriting this. If that is not
the case, then I'm not sure what stepmania was complaining about. Have
you made sure that stepmania itself isn't setuid root?