[mythtv-users] My experience with HD video and the Nvidia

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Mon May 15 16:10:54 EDT 2006

Mark Lehrer wrote:
> I would expect your 3700+ to do fine with mythfrontend if you have the
> proc opt compiler setting.  It will help to have the 686 kernel
> instead of 386.  I know that VLC is less efficient than myth frontend,
> so don't use VLC as your benchmark.

The whole system (including kernel) is built for k8 (x86_64), not 686 or
386. HD playback performance is very much dependent on video hardware
and driver, which is the point of this discussion. I know that the 3700+
will do fine with certain combinations of hardware and driver, but in my
case, I think that switching the two Athlon64 CPUs I have will better
use their respective capabilities.

I almost never use VLC, and I'm not sure why you mention it. I generally
use mplayer or xine (for DVD menus) if I'm not using mythfrontend.

Jonathan Rogers