[mythtv-users] Xv output with fglrx 8.24.8

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Mon May 15 18:04:34 EDT 2006

Raphael Pooser wrote:
> One problem there is so much confusion on the net about the fglrx
> driver, too.  I've looked at many different howto's, some at rage3D,
> some at the ubuntu wiki, and other distros.  I just never could get it
> working without the kernel module - I don't for the life of me know why
> - I have been confused by this driver time and again.  But I think I
> better qualify my previous posts on this subject and say that this is
> from personal experience only, and I haven't had anyone confirm that my
> case is the general one.  Nonetheless on two different systems I could
> only get xv working once the kernel module was working; but, both cards
> were 9600 types.  I have not tried using "radeon" much though, as I was
> under the impression tv-out only worked with fglrx, and I ended up
> hooking my machine up through svideo.  I could be totally wrong about
> radeon though and maybe it just makes more sense to use that, openGL be
> damned, no need for it on my myth box.

AFAIK, "radeon" does not currently support TV-Out. There may be some
support from GATOS, but it seems highly experimental and I didn't even
try it. I was using the same 8500 card in a different machine which was
connected to a regular old NTSC TV, so I had to use fglrx there to
enable the Svideo out. I got a PVR-350 for that machine, which improved
the quality and removed the need for fglrx.

Currently, I don't need the TV-Out from the Radeon, since I have an LCD
TV connected via DVI, but I know that needing TV-out severely limits
one's options.

Jonathan Rogers