[mythtv-users] Verifying HD content with a HD-3000

Joel Turner jturner421 at aol.com
Mon May 15 21:55:46 EDT 2006

On May 15, 2006, at 8:09 PM, Byron Poland wrote:

> On 5/15/06, Joel Turner <jturner421 at aol.com> wrote:

>>> While its recording you can check the system status (myth web or on
>>> the frontend, or watch the log file) to see if it is your HD3000
>>> tuner
>>> recording or not.  additionally when its done, the size alone of HD
>>> vs. SD should tell you if its in HD.
>>>
>>> in my experience of a backend with both SD and HD tuners, with 6=SD
>>> and 601=HD,  I had to explicitly select it to record on 601 for
>>> it to
>>> record in HD.
>>
>> Perhaps my example was  poor.  I've verified in upcoming recordings
>> that it is using tuner 2 (HD3000).  I'm also assuming that the size
>> of the recording will be about 6GB per hour if not greater.  As for
>> the 6 vs 601 in your example, I have no idea what it's actually
>> using.  Charter does not show station identifiers over QAM_256. When
>> verifying channels with mplayer I know that it showed content from
>> FOX.  I updated from my imported channel.conf the mplexid and
>> serviceid to the FOX entry populated by mythfilldatabase when I set
>> the zap-it line up to the card in myth-setup.  I assume the end
>> result is that what I provided it with the proper settings for tuning
>> with the HD3000 and so that it would also have the correct entries
>> for grabbing schedule information from zap-it.
>>

> Perhaps I'm mis-understanding your question, but it sounds like you've
> verified that you have in fact recorded HD content, so does that mean
> your question becomes how do I verify that I recorded the correct HD
> channel?  I guess that is a trial and error, or look at the database
> and see that your channel id's match your channels.conf and match what
> they actually are ie... fox is at 267000000 3 1 and those numbers
> match your channels.conf.

I'm probably not explaining it properly.  I used the procedure in the
Wiki for using QAM_256 to test for frequencies that were tunable.
One of the frequencies that I tuned into was obviously FOX.  I change
the [0003] entry in my channels.conf to FOX.  I import into Myth as
explained in the Wiki.  I populate the data which creates the proper
entries into dtv_multiplex and channel table based on the zap2it
lineup. I then do this:

  Fixup

In order to fix my channels now, I noted the mplexid and serviceid
from each channel that had been imported and then removed them from
the database. I then inserted those entries into the channel rows
that mythfilldatabse created.

I ran mythfilldatabase again just to be sure and found that
everything was in order.

So I should now have the proper tuning QAM_256 tuning information for
FOX.  What I really want to know at this point since I do not have an
HDTV is there an alternative method based on file size or another
program that can verify the bitrate and/or capture size?