[mythtv-users] PS3 to come with full Linux

Jeff Coffler jeff-list-mythusers at taltos.com
Tue May 16 11:32:21 EDT 2006

re: PS3's:

On Tuesday, May 16, 2006 8:12 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> From what I've read these things are going to be pretty expensive,
>even if it could run a frontend, at $500 to $600 there are certainly
>much cheaper alternatives.

Is there?  Depends on what the box can do.

I use an Xbox as a Myth frontend, and while it's inexpensive, it's also
pretty limited.  At regular playback, CPU appears to be around 80%.  If I do
something funny (like picture in picture, say), then the Xbox skips and
drops frames left, right, and center.  Clearly, it has no chance of being
able to do anything that approaches HD.

I wouldn't mind a box that could do HD.  Any suggestions of an inexpensive
box that can do that?

I'm not sure if the new Mac Mini can do HD or not.  But it's around $600, I
think.  Building your own hardware (if you get the hardware specs right, and
if it's quiet enough - I haven't looked into this option yet) is about the
same, I believe.

    -- Jeff