[mythtv-users] New installation, choppy video (not DMA) help request

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Tue May 16 15:11:21 EDT 2006

>> >Maybe ATI cards under Linux just can't handle 1080?  I don't know.
>> >

>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_HDTV#Hardware_2
>
>That wiki page seems to indicate that my setup should work.  X800PE
>is higher end than the 9600, I am fairly sure.  It is more recent.
>
>I was thinking that maybe there is just a problem with the highest
>resolution output that people don't run across much.
>
>Whatever I seem to do, X always takes up ~50% on 1080 output. (so far).

Expect your CPU to be very high with your CPU (AMD 3200+).  Personally,
I've never used that CPU so I couldn't tell you if it should even work at all;
if it's even fast enough (without XvMC, of course) at only 2 Ghz. I know that
with my Intel P 3.0 Ghz , I sometimes see CPU  over 90% during 1080 content.
My experience with AMD, ATI and HDTV is using an X2 3800+, which is
more than enough (total CPU ~50%).

Downoad the fglrx drivers from ATI's website and install those closely following
their instructions, instead of using the drivers that came with your distro. I've
had better luck doing that.

Make sure 'agpgart' is not compiled into your kernel.

Check your Xorg log files and make sure fglrx is loading properly.

Run glxinfo and make sure you are getting a good frame rate.