[mythtv-users] Sound Syncronization Problems in Recording Playback ONLY

Christopher Rodd cmrodd at yahoo.com
Tue May 16 18:37:20 EDT 2006

Douglas Wagner wrote:Ok,

     I've accepted my fate.  I'm GOING to get yelled at for postingthis.  I know for a fact i've seen this issue come up several times inthe recent past but for the LIFE of me I can't find the threads.  So,i'm going to ask this again.

Problem:  When I try to play back a recorded ATSC HDTV show (onlythose, it seems, shown in high def, see "oddities" next) the audio lagsbehind the video by about 3 to 5 seconds.  Meaning that you see thepeople on the screen speaking and then hear the audio.  The problemGOES AWAY if I drop out of mythtv, and load the recorded video throughXine.  So, my solution so far has been to go into MythTV, to therecorded shows section, find the show and date, and then go to my videodirectory and use xine to play it.  Of course this cuts out my remote(I don't have xine setup on it yet) and the nifty features of MythTV,so i'm really not liking the solution.

Oddities: Several:  1) this happens ONLY on shows recorded in true HD. My PBS Shows, which are shown in HD but only come out to about 600 Megin size (while a show of the same length on ABC Comes out to about 6 -7 Gig), work just fine when played back via Myth.  So, Callou andClifford for my kids are fine but alias and boston legal all lag sound(for instance).
2) When i'm OUT of mythtv another player plays the audio/video justfine, so it has something to do with how Mythtv is streaming the audioin to the video.  As I said above xine has no problem.  I guess more tothe point, it's how MPlayer streams audio/video as I think that's thedefault setup for Myth playback.
3) This DOES NOT happen in live TV, when myth is playing live TVeverything works JUST fine.  Sound/Video syncronization is no issue.
4) THIS WORKED!!! I've not upgraded, i've not changed settings, i'venot done anything I can think of (I did have to re-setup myth due to adatabase channel issue, but I THOUGHT I set it back the same way).

Hardware: pcHDTV 3000 card with ATSC Signal connected directly to it,nothing comming out of the card (audio and video are recorded streamedover the PCI bus, not using any patch wires).  Fedora Core 5, PentiumIV 2.8G Hyper-Threaded, 1G memory, ~400g harddrive, all 7200 RPM (IDE,not SATA).  Soundblaster Live! Value Digital sound card.

Software: MythTV v0.19, Kernel Version 2.6.16_2096 SMP.  Mplayer Ibelieve is setup as the default playback software for recorded streams(it's the default setting, I don't think i've mucked with anything).

HELP!  I REALLY don't want to have to keep dumping out of MythTV toplay recorded shows.  I'm going to try to re-setup myth to use Xine viathe WIKI instructions sometime later this week, but for the moment, i'mhopelessly lost.  I'm SURE it's something stupid.  Oh, and no, pausingand restarting doesn't seem to help either.

Any assistance would be MOST apprecaited.

--Douglas Wagner

I have this problem all the time when watching network primetime showsin the US.  Fox never has a problem but ABC and NBC seem to give mesound sync problems from time to time. It doesn't happen every week.Syndicated shows on HD network stations never seem to have a problemeither. I run SVN versions (update every couple weeks) it has shown upin every version since at least 0.18.  I don't use LiveTV all thatoften so I can't comment on sync issue or lack thereof there.

Don't just pause and restart.  Fast forwarding a few seconds resyncseverything for me.  You may have to play with the number of secondsthough.

Chris