[mythtv-users] New installation, choppy video (not DMA) help request

Dan danspam at envy.themanium.net
Tue May 16 20:47:31 EDT 2006

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 12:06:16PM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:

> few folks that use ATI cards for HD playback that will be of more help
> here. In the end, if all else fails. Spend the $30 on an FX5200...

So I had a 6800 lying around, and after spending most of the afternoon
trying to get a custom kernel and to load without agpgart all day,
(I am pretty rusty on building custom kernels and fighting with/figuring
out the debugging output of driver modules) decided to give it a shot.
I installed it and it seems to be working, but I _still_ get the exact
same behavior on HDTV streams.  Very high (higher than others on thist
list have reported) CPU usage on the X process, and choppy video.
This system works smooth as silk under windows, so it's hard to grasp
that it just isn't powerful enough for HD content.

I can go back to fighting with agpgart, but others on this last have
reported negligible improvement with that path in the past.

Thanks for all the help folks.  I appreciate all of the suggestions.

-Dan