[mythtv-users] Mythbackend - Ubuntu vs Fedora Core 5

Adam Hirsch mythtv at quakerporn.com
Wed May 17 13:02:57 UTC 2006

Todd Ferris (tferris at gmail.com) wrote:

> So, my question is for those that have been using Ubuntu. Is it a good
> environment for running a headless myth-backend?  Have you had problems with
> dpkg problems when using the main repos (universe & multi-verse)?

I'm running a combined Backend/Frontend on an AMD64 system running Ubuntu
"Breezy," and it's working great.  Followed the excellent directions at

 http://s91928265.onlinehome.us/hfamily/mythtv/myth_ubuntu.html

and then had the inevitable week of poking and prodding at various hardware
tweaks to get everything together.

That said, if you're comfortable sysadminning a RH-style machine, why not
stick with that?  Lots of folks are running very happily on Fedora, so
there'd be plenty of resources to help out if need be.  Unless, that is,
you want to learn a different distro's peculiarities at the same time
you're trying to install MythTV, i.e. you're a fool of the same stripe as
most sysadmins I know, including me.  :)  (Full disclosure: this is
precisely what I did when installing MythTV.)

Seriously, though, I suspect either distro can provide the software you
need -- assuming your hardware's up to snuff, I think it's a personal
choice which distro you go with.

Adam

--
When someone is impatient and says, "I haven't got all day,"   <adam at baz.org>
I always wonder, How can that be?  How can you not have all day?  - G. Carlin